Prioritising Presence

This week the glorious weather sparked a new plan. I was tired of rushing home after work, doing chores, eating, bathing, crafting, reading or writing then going to bed. The reading I had brought it home to me how much I'd benefit from getting outdoors more, and I realised I was only spending time out there at the weekends. 

On Sunday I dug, weeded, planted then spent the afternoon enjoying being outside, sitting on the lawn.

On Monday evening I walked bare foot on the grass then sat in the conservatory with the doors open, watching twilight turn to night and stars come out.

On Tuesday I actually planned out what I absolutely had to get done at home then promised myself I would do no more than feed Gem, clean her litter and cook my dinner before going outside. It felt good making it a priority and spending time sitting on the grass enjoying the light, air and birdsong.

Today I did the same and you know what? All the essentials still got done and I felt happier and more well rested than usual. When I was outside today I enjoyed lying on my belly watching the birds, insects and a squirrel flitting about and hearing the chickens next door flutter and cluck. I had my feet in the grass, supported on the earth, and the warm wool of the blanket under my body. The sun moved onward into evening and I watched, quiet and still, as all the creatures made their final foraging trips. I felt like I didn't have to be anywhere or do anything, I knew that I would have all the time I needed to do what I needed to do.

So this is what happens when you pause then? I'd say "I wish someone had told me sooner" but they did!

Mindfulness, meditation, grounding, nature and suchlike; we hear so much about it but it's hard to grasp what it's all about until we do it ourselves. And I don't mean in a reluctant, follow the steps way. I mean finding the thing that makes you want to pause and making the time and space for it, trusting that if you pause the world will keep on turning without knocking you off your feet. You can pause, notice, enjoy then you'll have time to go back and do what you need to do, but you'll feel refreshed, human and you again.

Comments