Foraging outdoor and in

Today I got on with some outdoor jobs but also took plenty of time to sit back and read, drink coffee and take in all the greenery. I used to think a non-work day was for one thing only: To be filled with non-stop tasks. I was a productivity addict and in the end the only place that got me to was burnout.



My main job today was to paint the front garden walls as they haven't been repainted for at least 7 years and were a mess. Me slapping paint on hasn't transformed them from a sow's ear into a silk purse but they do look more respectable.

I took a break and supervised Lars on his second adventure outdoors. He's 9 months old and has been desperate to get out. It was lovely watching him explore with a serious, focussed little cat face, before having a little play on the lawn when he felt braver. Also seeing him discover that grass tastes good and daisys don't but are fun to wap with his paw. Oh, and that grass can also be wapped with his paw before being chomped on noisily.

Here he is back inside again and surveying his new domain:


And all tuckered out:


When we first let the cats out yesterday Sigrit was content to sit in the doorway the whole time and sniff the air, then have a little ride outside on Mr CB's shoulder. She showed no desire to set a paw out of the door until she heard Lars meowing in distress as he couldn't find his way back onto the raised deck where the door is. She forgot all hesitation and marched out to find him and bring her boy back home, and I think it's just about the sweetest thing I've ever seen. 

In the afternoon I got on with some weeding, which is never ending in our garden as it backs onto waste ground and gets overwhelmed by nettles, brambles, thistles, ivy and various big weeds I don't know the name of. Seeing the nettles I had a brain wave and chopped off all the tops before cutting them back.

Then I came inside with my foraged nettles and did some freezer foraging, which tuned up broccoli and left over double cream. Combining the indoor and outdoor foraging finds I made nettle soup:


I was paranoid about stings so gave it a good boil! The result is a very tasty soup. enough for 4 very generous portions.

My arms and legs ache after the painting and weeding and it's lovely to know that as soon as I finish this it's time for PJs, a hot drink and a book. More and more lately I'm re-learning how to notice simple pleasures and enjoy them fully, rather than always planning the next thing, always striving to move forward. I'm pleased to say I'm no longer addicted to productivity.



Comments