Apron from a duvet cover

As part of Fashion On The Ration I want to learn to sew as I'd like to be able to make things from fabrics found in charity shops and old clothing and bedding. 

Duvet covers without pillow cases seem to be magnetically drawn to charity shops so there's a ready supply of large pieces of fabric. I receny rooted through an 'Everything £1' basket and found a pretty single duvet cover made of polycotton and in good condition.

I decided it would be perfect to have a go with and after considering what I could make I decided to try an apron. 


I still have apron pattern I made (badly) years ago but as the duvet fabric isn't thick enough for an apron I decided to line it ie. I cut out two apron shapes and made a double sided apron

It took less than one side of the duvet cover and I'm very pleased with it. I learnt a lot whilst making it and it got me back into practice at machine stitching straight lines.

Here's the duvet cover:


As it's light coloured I won't use the apron for cooking but it's perfect for cleaning. My Nana always wrapped up in an overall or pinny for cleaning to protect her clothes and that seems very sensible to me, so for less than 50p worth of second hand fabric I have an apron to help me in my mission to make my clothes last longer so I buy less of them.

I have lots of fabric left so may use it as practice fabric for a simple dress. If it fits I can wear it as a nightie and I'll feel more confident then about making it again with some lovely fabric I found in a charity shop in Spring. If the test dress turns out badly I know I'll be able to learn a lot from it then have another go.

Comments