Two week low spend challenge

I was shocked to realise yesterday that I rarely go more than 48 hours without spending any money. How has living and spending become so closely entwined on a daily level?


I write down every single thing I spend (it stops me lying to myself!) and yesterday I caught up on logging outgoings over the past few days. I totaled it up and was unsettled to find I'd almost used up my monthly grocery and discretionary budget and it's only half way through May.

Then I saw that my utility direct debit is increasing from June and it was a wake up call.


I'm not badly off but I'm saving up for things that matter to me and we're heavily overpaying the mortgage, so it's important to me to maintain how much I save and trim back elsewhere.

Also I'm unhappy with my spending habits because I talk myself into buying things I don't need, for the novelty of them when I'm bored and looking for a distraction. I resent that I comply so easily with being a consumer. We all need to consume less for the sake of our health and our planet, and I need to put what I belive into practice and step away from habitual consumption, which only exacerbates the impression that there will never be a state of Enough.


My plan for the rest of May is to do a two week low spend challenge:

Clothes: None. I recently cleared out lots of ill fitting and worn out clothing and accessories and gave my wardrobe a refresh with the help of Vinted, so I need to stop now and enjoy what I've got.

Books: None. Oh, the ultimate temptation! I've made it through a month before without buying a book though, so I can do 2 weeks.

Coffee and cake: A treat of key importance to me and with my Mum visiting this weekend there will be spend here. Likewise for lunch or dinner out, but I pay for these from my Fun Fund, which I top up monthly for going out and doing things. I'll try to stick to bringing my own lunch and snacks if I go anywhere though

Art supplies: None. I have so many and I need to buy less of them and use more of them

Gifts: None. I've bought two to stash away and have no other birthdays coming up until September so this is an easy category not to spend in.

Entertainment: None. I have plenty to keep myself occupied at home so will sit tight.

Home and garden: None except emergencies. I've got all the seeds, soil and tools I need for the garden and there's nothing I need for the house.

Groceries: I'm aiming for low spend rather than no spend, planning meals around what's already in the house.

Charity shopping: None. That's right, NONE. Oh good grief, I feel like this part's going to be really hard. I love hunting through charity shops and don't know how I'll resist them.

Travel: Unavoidable costs here for trains and fuel which I think will push me over budget.


Comments