Branches

I don't work on Mondays so after spending the morning completing a large piece of coursework for a qualification I'm taking, I decided I needed some fresh air.

It's wet, windy and muddy out there so I put on my weatherproof Canada trousers and set off. I walked through some streets to a cut through that runs between a housing estate and the quarry, like a boarder between our world and a magic wood. 

I was struck by the branching trees and branching pylons, wood tree and metal tree, old and modern.





There are piles of rubble separating the path from the quarry. Some of the stones are very large and square, some look like flagstones. I think they're from the old mills that used to be sited on this hill. My house is on the site of one of them and there were others in this area, spinning wool into yarn at a furious rate. Their walls and floors have long since been torn down and now they sit in pieces as part of nature, covered in cold woolly moss, blending in to the background tangle. 

To my great surprise I saw two deer right by the path behind the houses. They blend in well; can you see them on the left and right of the photo?




I walked up the muddy hill next to the quarry and enjoyed the view. This one looks back in the direction of my house, tucked out of sight down the steep hill, then out to the hills in the direction of Keighley and Haworth.




On the way home I spotted several old 'Danger Keep Out Of Quarry' signs painted on rocks that had gone feral and joined the wild wood.



Finally this little hollow that definitely looks like something not of this plane of reality should live there. A small goblin, I think.





Comments

  1. Love the photos...the deer do a great job of hiding!
    New here...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment